Maybe take a quick spin around the neighborhood on the way home from the airport to get oriented and feel like the plane trip was worth it! Settle in for a good night’s sleep before our big day tomorrow.
Our first major stop is “the Rock.” Time and weather-permitting, take advantage of an early start to get a view of our destination from Coit Tower. If you need to stretch your legs after the 6 hour flight, hike down the Greenwich steps while I circle down to park the car and meet at the Alcatraz Ferry terminal at Pier 33.
Take the ferry a mere 2 miles to Alcatraz Island. If the weather is nice, we may want to catch the free tour of the island gardens (twice a week on Friday and Sunday mornings at 9:30am starting at the Alcatraz dock) before venturing into the prison. The tours lead you through all the restored gardens, including those that are off limits to most visitors—Officers’ Row and the Rose Terrace.
- Pier 39, Fisherman’s Wharf, Maritime National Park
- Palace of Fine Arts, Chrissy Field, Fort Point (Fri-Sun 10-5)
- Walk / drive across Golden Gate bridge
- Houseboats of Sausalito
- Marin Headlands – 2012 Family calendar GG bridge photo ops!
- Ferry Building Marketplace
- Lombard Street
- Chinatown Lunar New Year Street Fair
- North Beach
- Water Bar $1 oysters with a view 11:30-6pm
- AT&T Park
- Fort Funston, Ocean Beach
- Mission Dolores Park
- Haight Asbury
- Alamo Square Park, home of the painted ladies
- Depending on what time you need to get going, maybe a quick driving tour of Golden Gate park including the Japanese Tea Garden (free entrance before 10am on Monday)
The kitties and I will be waiting for you when you get back from skiing!